Tinnitus Awareness Week 2017 – how you can get involved
Tinnitus Awareness Week (TAW) is an annual event which in 2017 is taking place from 6-12 February. Activity will be based around the campaign ‘Together for Tinnitus’ which is intended to generate discussion about tinnitus and raise awareness of the work being carried out and support provided by the British Tinnitus Association and other services across the UK, at hospitals and support groups etc.
We will be raising awareness amongst GPs about the condition and the treatment options available, so they feel confident to support patients who are experiencing this often distressing and debilitating condition. During the week, we will be launching our official ‘Tinnitus Guidance for GPs’ document which will provide the most up-to-date information on how people suffering with tinnitus can best be helped from diagnosis through to self-help management of the condition. In addition, we are promoting our new online resource which for people newly diagnosed with tinnitus www.takeontinnitus.co.uk. Take on Tinnitus is designed to give facts and ideas for things you can do to manage tinnitus and is an ideal resource for GPs to suggest to new tinnitus patients.
As a professional, you can help us raise awareness of tinnitus and services you provide, by having a prominent display in your department or in a place where you will get maximum attention. A display is great. A staffed stall is even better because it gives members of the public the opportunity to come along and talk but anything you can do to help support the week is always appreciated. We will provide you with information to give out including leaflets, posters and postcards. We can also provide balloons to draw attention to your stand and we’ll raise awareness of any events through our social media streams.
You can also help by doing any of the suggestions below in the run up to and during TAW:
· If you use social media professionally or socially, share and use the hashtag #TAW2017
· Request or download (www.tinnitus.org.uk) a ‘Together for Tinnitus’ postcard/flyer and show your support with a selfie on social media during the week
· Download a Twibbon and use it as your profile image on social media.
· Request a TAW poster or download one and display it locally so that more people know it’s Tinnitus Awareness Week
· Let your GP know that the new Tinnitus Guidelines for GPs are available so they can become more informed
· Join in with our Thunderclap on Friday 10th Feb – ‘We are standing together for tinnitus #TAW2017.’
· Support us with a donation – we need to raise half a million pounds each year to continue our UK wide support. Donations can be made via www.justgiving.com/BTA.
If you would like to get involved, please do get in touch with the BTA via firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0114 2509933 and help make Tinnitus Awareness Week 2017 the best one yet.
(All web based material will be available during January 2017)